Thursday, March 25, 2010

Two Gentlemen of Verona--Original Broadway Cast Album


I happened across the CD release of this show in a bin at the library and knowing absolutely nothing about it (except assuming the story was at least based on the Shakespeare of the same title) I thought I'd give it a whirl. I hadn't realized that Galt MacDermot had written another musical besides Hair, but he did and it is Two Gentlemen of Verona.

Well, this one is going back to the library as soon as possible. I have no desire to hear any of it again, nor to investigate the show or its score any further. I find it remarkable that this show beat out Sondheim's Follies for the Best Musical Tony Award for 1972. Well, Follies has been revived often, and Two Gentlemen, never (at least on Broadway), so I guess Sondheim has the last laugh.

There was only one song of the 34 on the CD that I wanted to listen closely to, or hear again; the funny and satirical "Bring All the Boys Back Home" is still surprisingly timely given that it was written almost 40 years ago. But then, world leaders have been hiding behind and capitalizing on war since the Greeks ransacked Troy.

I was sorry that none of the singing voices captured my attention, either. Clifton Davis has a pleasant enough voice, but doesn't sing any songs that really lets it shine. Raul Julia may have been a mega-wattage stage presence (as the very good liner notes to this recording say), but it is not obvious from the cast album.

My primary problem with the score is that it seems to lack the infectious fun of Hair, as well as the singability.

Two Gentlemen of Verona
Music by Galt MacDermot
Lyrics by John Guare
Book adapted from Shakespeare by John Guare and Mel Shapiro
Opened 1971
Cast: Raul Julia, Clifton Davis, Diana Davila, Jonelle Allen, John Bottoms

No comments: