Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Jason Graae--An Evening of Self-Indulgence--Live at the Cinegrill on CD


Aptly titled.

I like Mr. Graae's singing. He has an ability to reach into his top register with apparent ease and without losing any legato in his line. I also liked his choice of music for this production--all of which has touched his career at some point or in some way. I could have used one more comic number to balance the ballads, but that's a very personal preference. Mr. Graae ably delivers both comic songs and ballads.

Where the recording of this event let me down was in the patter between numbers. There was too much of it, and I believe unless you were one of Jason's best friends it wouldn't be very funny. Undoubtedly, the loss of visuals hurt here. But you know, you're producing an audio-only CD, so adjust accordingly.

Jason Graae: An Evening of Self-Indulgence
Live cabaret performance at the Cinegrill in Los Angeles on CD
Cast: Jason Graae, Gerald Sternbach

No comments: