Tuesday, March 30, 2010

9 to 5 Original Broadway Cast album


I remember the musical version of 9 to 5 making the talk-show splash when it opened a year or so ago. Between having music and lyrics by Dolly Parton and starring unlikely musical theater performer Allison Janney, bits of the show made rounds on The View, Regis and Kelly, etc. I must have heard a song or two from one of those appearances, but I don't recall which.

In listening to the cast album, I was struck that the accompaniments for many of the songs are guitar-based, not piano-based. I supposed that's fitting given the composer is a country singer/songwriter. I don't bring that up as a dis, just an observation--a score sounds different when composed on a guitar rather than a keyboard. I had the same observation with Spring Awakening, which is also by a singer/songwriter/guitarist--Duncan Sheik. That may be the only thing Duncan Sheik and Dolly Parton, and these two shows have in common.

The capabilities of the cast seems to be the primary strength of this album. The songs feel uneven to me at times, and several don't have a strong-enough sense of what they want to be to create a positive impression.

The two songs I was drawn to the most are both sung by Stephanie J. Block as Judy. I have seen Ms. Block perform live and know that she is a powerhouse singer, and fortunately is given two good songs to showcase her abilities. Unfortunately for Ms. Block this show and the previous show where she originated a lead role (Pirate Queen--I saw it, don't ask) have closed within a couple of months. I'm certain she is well-respected in the musical theater world, but Ms. Block need a good vehicle to find herself well-known among audiences.

Allison Janney as singer doesn't completely embarrass herself. She's fine when she's not in her head voice and has enough legato and hutzspa (sp?) to sell her songs. Megan Hilty as Dolly doppelganger Doralee has a nice, versatile voice (I was surprised to learn she was a replacement Glinda in Wicked--very different styles of music) although I didn't care for the music she is given. Marc Kudish as devil-boss again impresses me with his voice, but his one front-and-center number didn't reach me.

9 to 5
Music and lyrics by Dolly Parton
Book by Patricia Resnick
opened in 2009
Cast: Allison Janney, Stephanie J. Block, Marc Kudish, Megan Hilty

No comments: