Wednesday, March 17, 2010

I Dreamed a Dream, the debut CD from Susan Boyle


Yes, I succumbed to the hype and downloaded the first album from "Britain's Got Talent" sensation Susan Boyle. When the clip was making all the waves on YouTube, I have to confess I was honestly given chills by her singing. Being such a curmudgeon, that doesn't happen to me very often, so I was curious if it could happen again during this listening of this album.

The collection is a mix of styles and genres, which is not surprising for someone who is just finding their voice and seeking their viewpoint as a performer. There are several religious standards (I almost used the word "gospel" but that has too many connotations), including "Amazing Grace", "How Great Thou Art", and "Silent Night". The surprise tracks for me were the Madonna song "You'll See" and the Monkees' song "Daydream Believer".
There is nothing to dislike on this album; it is a strong freshman effort. Perhaps for me, the tracks are too over-produced and all tend into the power-ballad category--which is clearly the current most obvious strength of Ms. Boyle. Even what could be more upbeat songs are presented in arrangements that often seem to be in the same tempos, making them all sound a bit alike.
I was struck by the sound of Ms. Boyle's voice, which seems very different than I recall from the television appearance. Perhaps this is part of the over-produced nature of the album. Perhaps it is a versatile and talented singer searching for their true voice.

Regardless of the reasons for this, I hope there are future releases from Ms. Boyle so we can hear how see progresses.



No comments: