Monday, March 29, 2010

Finian's Rainbow New Broadway Cast album on CD


I recall liking the film version of Finian's Rainbow when I reviewed it for this project, so I was looking forward to listening to the new Broadway cast album when I was given it as a gift. Best gift ever.

This is a well-produced and well-cast album of a production that unfortunately closed way too soon. I have to believe it was a case of being hit hard by the economy and not anything to do with the show itself, because what is evident on the CD is delightful from downbeat to finale.

Cheyenne Jackson starred in this re-mounting as Woody, man-about Rainbow Valley, Missitucky. I have to say, I don't mind looking at Mr. Jackson, and don't mind listening to Mr. Jackson sing. I must make a point of finding some of his solo CDs---I believe they are not all American Idol-influenced.

Fortunately, Mr. Jackson gets some of the best songs in this Burton Lane score to sing. "That Old Devil Moon" proves why it is a classic. While I liked hearing "That Great, Come-and-get-it Day" again, it didn't live up to my memory from the film. Is it a different arrangement? Or just missing the visuals?

Kate Baldwin as Sharon also has a lovely voice that she uses well in "How are Things in Glocca Morra?" and "Look to the Rainbow." Even Christopher Fitzgerald as leprechaun Og is a good singer and delivers on his comic piece "When I'm Not Near the Girl I Love."

The good liner notes from John Lahr give a lot of information about the origins of Finian's Rainbow but not the remount production, which sadly like a rainbow was too brief an occurrence.

Finian's Rainbow
Music by Burton Lane
Lyrics by Yip Harburg
Book by Harburg and Fred Saidy
2009 Broadway revival production
Cast: Cheyenne Jackson, Kate Baldwin, Christopher Fitzgerald, Jim Norton,

No comments: