Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Titanic--Original Broadway Cast album on CD


This show really reminds me of Ragtime for some reason. I think it might be the historical setting of the show, the range of social and economic levels it tries to portrays and the fluidity with which both shows move from setting to setting--very film-like. While I generally liked, Ragtime, however, Titanic left me a little cold.

The opening is very well constructed, introducing us in succession to the crew and each class of passengers, and building into a climax as the ship sets sail (do you still call it that when there is no actual sail?). From then on, however, the score and the characters left me flat.

One wonderful discovery is the singing of Brian d'Arcy James, who had not appeared as yet in my Year, but who has a wonderful voice. Mr. James has loads of Broadway credits (including the current Shrek), so I hope to squeeze him into my Year again before the 12 months end on May 31.

Titanic
Music and lyrics by Maury Yeston
Book by Peter Stone
Opened in 1997
Cast: Brian D'Arcy James, Martin Moran, John Cunningham, Ted Sperling, Allan Corduner, Michael Cerveris

No comments: