Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Mame--OBC album


Is there a show with more infectious music that Jerry Herman's Mame? Well, if so, please suggest it, because I have always loved this musical and would love to hear what you think compares with it. I've never listened to the original Broadway cast album, but have seen the film version many times and seen it on stage at least once, when my high school performed it when I was in 8th grade. I remember being jealous of the 7th grader who played Young Patrick. The next year, he and I were in Sound of Music together.

I'm surprised by how much I like the singing on this album, even though Angela Lansbury and Bea Arthur (RIP) are hardly my usual types of singers. I think that is a component of having really infectious songs in the score--although I like this score more than others by Jerry Herman. Ms. Lansbury displays a lot of good legato singing and breath control, even if her sound is not traditionally beautiful. I'm shocked to discover that his entry is the first in my Year to feature Ms. Lansbury. I must do something to make up for that.
Its easy for me to picture the deadpan delivery and double takes of Ms. Arthur (RIP), as she is in the film version.
The women really rule the roost in this show, with the men as secondary characters--especially in the singing department. Charles Braswell as Mame's hubby Beau has little to sing except in the big Act I Finale. I was surprised by the voice of Jerry Lanning who plays the elder Patrick--it's a very nice voice, even if I found it a bit too mature-sounding for the character. I must check out more of Mr. Lanning.

Mame
Music and Lyrics by Jerry Herman
Book by Jerome Lawrence and Robert E. Lee
Opened in 1966
Cast: Angela Lansbury, Beatrice Arthur, Jane Connell, Willard Waterman, Charles Braswell, Jerry Lanning

No comments: