Friday, May 8, 2009

Seussical--Live performance at Interlochen Arts Academy


They say you can't go home again, and perhaps they are right. I am in Michigan for a long weekend visiting my parents for Mother's Day, and decided to visit the campus of my alma mater Interlochen Arts Academy, which is a couple hours' drive my parents' home. I thought I was going to Interlochen to attend a farewell concert and tribute to Byron Hanson, who is retiring after having led the instrumental and band division there for 44 years. But when I arrived on campus, I realized that the theater department was also presenting Seussical, so clearly that is why I was called up to visit, so that an IAA theater company production could be part of my Thinking this Year. After all, I was in four musicals at Interlochen, performed in three Gilbert & Sullivan operettas, as well as singing in my first large-scale choral work (Vivaldi Gloria), taking voice lessons, and singing original songs written for a production of As You Like it. But enough of my waxing historical, on to Seussical the Musical...

This show and score have a lot of charm, like the other Stephen Flaherty and Lynn Ahrens shows I've listened to, Ragtime and Lucky Stiff. It also offers a lot for a large cast to do, a good thing for a show presented in an educational setting. The chorus has several big numbers and there are various small ensembles that have their own moments in the spotlight. There are just four or five roles that handle the bulk of the solo singing.

The plot of the show basically follows Horton and the people of Who on the speck of dust, a separation which was cleverly handled in this production by having the Who only appear on a series of platforms behind and above Horton and the other characters with whom he interacts.

The best voice of this student production was Horton, befitting the amount of music for this character. The young man playing Horton possesses a lovely lyrical baritone voice that he used well and didn't have to strain to get into his upper register. His understated playing of Horton was right on the mark and offered all the charm you could want in this unassuming character. The Cat in the Hat, who serves as a bit of a narrator for the show, is a much more showy role, although lacks the emotional connection to the audience that Horton makes. I feel compelled to brag that the young man playing The Cat in The Hat is Interlochen's 40th Presidential Scholar, a record unmatched by any other school, public or private, in the nation.

The female roles ask for mostly character voices, rather than legato singing. I wished that one of the women's role would ask for a true soprano voice. The closest we get is Gertrude McFuzz, who at times dropped the cupie doll affectation in her singing to allow for her real voice to be heard. I should note that this version of Seussical is from the Theater for Young Audiences collection, which I think means it is slightly shortened and in a simplified arrangement.

The largest beef I have with this production is in the staging as done by Robin Ellis, who is listed on Interlochen's website as a theater instructor at the Academy. This show was presented in a thrust theater (built long after I was a student), with steeply raked seating in three sections and two vomitoria that function as entrance points for both audience and actors. Well, as staged by Ms. Ellis, most of the action was blocked as if in a proscenium house, with primary characters facing the center section of the theater. I was fortunately seated in the center section, but I would have felt at a disadvantage if I had been in the right or left sections. One of the few staging rules I remember from my undergraduate directing course is that in a thrust theater you primarily stage things on the diagonal facing the vomitoria. This would seem particularly crucial in a presentational show like Seussical.

But then, no one is hiring me to direct anything, so I'll just be glad to know that my alma mater's theater department is going strong, presenting shows written after I was there, in a theater built after I was there, performed by kids born long after I was there.

Oy, I'm old.

Seussical
Music by Stephen Flaherty
Lyrics by Lynn Ahrens
Book by Ahrens and Flaherty
Based the writings of Dr. Seuss
Opened on Broadway in 2000
Cast: the theater department students at the Interlochen Arts Academy, classes of 2009-2012.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had to laugh at the term "vomitoria." I believe that's where we were on Wednesday.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Michael, Chicago IL said...

I had another comment from anonymous, that I have edited, because I don't want to use the names of any students or minors: "Just saw it on Saturday, had so much fun. The Horton was played by (name withheld), one of the strongest actors in their department right now, and yes he was absolutly wonderful, my favorite in the show. The Gertrude was also very good."

Thanks for adding your thoughts, anonymous.