Thursday, May 21, 2009

She Loves Me--Original Broadway Cast Album


This show has had a bit of a cult following, I believe, although I've not been part of it up to now. I may need to give in and drink the kool-aid, though, because I found much of the cast album of She Love Me to be delightful.

This is really a chamber musical, or perhaps chamber operetta, with 7 or 8 primary roles and a few actors who float through the show as various other characters. I'd like to see it on stage as I think it could be cleverly staged in a space with cabaret tables, since one key scene of the show takes place in a restaurant.

On display again is the lovely voice of Barbara Cook, who I have talked about enough for two Years. But its interesting to listen to Ms. Cook right after listening to Julie Andrews in The Boy Friend. The two singers are within 6 or 7 years of each other, and both came to Broadway prominence in the early 1950s. While we think of Ms. Andrews being a soprano, she's a very different type of soprano that Barbara Cook. I've referred to Andrews being a soubrette, but I don't know if I'm using that term correctly; I think of a soubrette having a lower singing register than a true soprano and only occasionally reaching into the upper notes. Well, maybe that's over-Thinking things. I like the singing of both performers, so let's leave it at that.

Also in the cast of She Loves Me is Jack Cassidy--husband of Shirley Jones, father of David, Shaun and Patrick--all of whom have been on Broadway, I believe. The senior Mr. Cassidy had been in 8 Broadway musicals or revues by the time he starred in She Loves Me, and I can hear why. He has a lovely lyric voice, which doesn't strain too much in the upper reaches.

Barbara Baxley, the so-called "other Barbara" from this cast, is also a delightful find. While she is more of a character singer than possessing a traditional type of voice, her number "I Resolve" is funny and she is a nice contract to the more legit style of Barbara #1.

Music by Jerry Bock
Lyrics by Sheldon Harnick
Book by Joe Masteroff
Opened in 1963
Cast: Barbara Cook, Barbara Baxley, Daniel Massey, Jack Cassidy, Nathaniel Frey, Ludwig Donath,

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i too love "She Loves Me." But your comment about julie Andrews' singing voice is wrong. She was known in England for her four octave range and could sing high notes in the stratosphere. She was described always as a coloratura. I think their voices were the same. As Andrews aged her voice became warmer and thicker, and of course since her 1995 botched surgery she only has a few low notes. Cook somehow managed to keep a fairly high range, although she uses her technique and her skills of expression to "emote" the very highest, most difficult passages.
Andrews, by the way, sang My Funny Valentine with great warmth last summer in a "concert" tour(with five young singers) of about five cities. The high notes were lowered for her. You could not hear a more expressive version anywhere.