Monday, May 11, 2009

Ghost Light Monday--Tribute to Byron Hanson


When I visited my alma mater of Interlochen Arts Academy last Thursday, it was ostensibly to attend the farewell concert and retirement tribute to Byron Hanson, who has lead the band program at Interlochen for 44 years. When I realized that the theater department was also performing Seussical, I went to that performance, but made it over to the concert hall for most of the tribute, although I missed the band performance of music from Schwanda the Bagpiper, which was a disappointment. How often does one get the chance to hear music from Schwanda the Bagpiper performed live? Not often enough, I can tell you.

Well, the tribute to outgoing music director Byron Hanson was interesting and I'm glad I got the chance to hear most of it. Among the many people speaking tributes was Elaine Douvas, who is the principal oboist of the Met Opera Orchestra and a teacher and head of the woodwinds department at The Juilliard School. While I had never met Ms. Douvas (or even seen her) before, she was involved with a competition I managed a few years back. She nominated a couple of oboists for the competition. While I do remember that the winner was not from Ms. Douvas's studio, I don't recall if one of her students was a finalist. I was interested to know Ms. Douvas's connection to Interlochen--she is a Michigan native and attended both summer camp and the Academy at Interlochen.

I was not an instrumental person at Interlochen, I was in the theater division, but Mr. Hanson is a bit of a living legend at the school. One of those encyclopedic types who seems to have endless energy, and the ability to play excerpts from any piece of music; name your theme, he can play it. It was interesting to hear again and again at this tribute, the same comments, about how Mr. Hanson could inevitably fit in one more coaching or accompanying session--from students he had thirty years ago to students of today. I find that kind of longevity amazing, and am envious of it. I'm also envious of the focus that one must have to achieve the depth of knowledge Mr. Hanson displays.
Fortunately for the institutional history of Interlochen (as well as for many of those instrumentalists look for an accompanist, I'm sure) Maestro Hanson is not leaving Interlochen, but will become the school's first archivist--a task that has been much neglected, I can tell you from first hand experience.
I wish Mr. Hanson well in his new position, and while I am sorry I didn't work with him personally, I am glad he has been and will continue to be such a valued resource for the school.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ON a personal note - I believe my father lives with Mr. Hanson's own father in an Assisted Living facility in TC. His father is over 100 years old and my dad has accompanied him on piano while John was playing his violin in the past year! Small world!