Thursday, April 2, 2009

Mary Poppins--live Broadway touring production


My recent discovery that only 5 of my entries at the 10-month point of my Year of Musical Thinking have come from seeing live shows sent me right over the box office of the Cadillac Palace Whorehouse, I mean, Theater to buy a ticket to see Mary Poppins, which has started its North American tour in Chicago. I was particularly interested to see Ashley Brown and Gavin Lee, both of whom are reprising their Broadway roles on this leg of the tour. The show and its leads did not disappoint, in fact they more than delivered on their promise to delight and inspire.

While based on the Disney film and incorporating most of the songs from that score, the story takes some different twists than fans of the film will remember. There are also some new songs added to the score. But nothing is added that is not firmly in the style and feel of this feel-good show. Not to say its all saccharine, but even the darker bits of the story are not too dark.

I'm sure the role of Bert will remain a signature role for Gavin Lee for life. With his tall, lean frame and legs that seem to go up to his chin, he proves an athletic and charming host for the show--serving as participant as well as a bit of a narrator for some scene shifts. His dancing is first rate and his Cockney accent must more reputable than Dick Van Dyke's. I was struck by the fact that Mr. Lee has the whitest teeth I've ever seen for a chimney sweep. Not that I know any chimney sweeps.

Ms. Brown (above) is also delightful in the title role, and takes the bulk of the responsibility for the show's charm on her well-tailored shoulders. Her Mary Poppins is its own creation without drifting too far from the standard set by Julie Andrews in the film. Ms. Brown is rarely off-stage in this 2-1/2 hour production, yet the definite twinkle in her eye never flinched. She also has the bulk of the singing to do and proved to have a lovely, soubrettish voice that fit the role and score perfectly.

There are of course, other characters in the show; Mr. and Mrs. Banks are seen quite a bit, and Megan Osterhaus has a lovely second act song for Mrs. Banks. The Banks children, Michael and Jane were on stage a lot for relatively young children, yet their performances were never anything except right on the mark. A colorful array of characters rounded out the cast.

The scenic elements and technology for this show are fantastic without beating one over the head. It started with the Bank's house, which opens like a doll's house at the beginning of the show and reveals more surprises in its clever design as the show progresses. But there is also fantastic scenery that is not technically advanced, but delightful all the same; the simple scrims used for the park trees, the painted backdrop of the bank where Mr. Banks works, and the shop in the park for Mrs. Corry are wonderful by just being imaginative. There are two highly-technical, and very satisfying effects--one for Bert and one for Mary. I won't give them away.

As a kid, my family had a songbook of Disney songs from live-action and animated films. I remember discovering at some point that many of the songs were by Richard and Robert Sherman. Who were these two who wrote songs for The Jungle Book, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, The Aristocats, Winnie the Pooh, and Bedknobs and Broomsticks (my favorite of the bunch)? Well, I'll have to do a little more investigation, but it appears their only Broadway effort (prior to the "expansion" of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and Mary Poppins to full stage shows) was Over Here!, a 1974 show for the Andrews Sisters, which I believe I saw the Kalamazoo Community Theater perform in the late 80s. More digging needed.

I also saw this show as a bit of a fact-finding mission; my mother is planning to take her grandchildren (my niece and nephews) to see the show in May.

Shhh, don't tell her I've already seen it.

Mary Poppins
Music and lyrics by Robert and Richard Sherman, with new songs by George Stiles and Anthony Drewe who also added some new sections and lyrics to several of the Shermans' songs.
Cast: Ashley Brown, Gavin Lee, Megan Osterhaus, Karl Kenzler, Ellen Harvey, Valerie Boyle,

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oooohh...I can't wait to see it...it's nice to have a mom who will fund the kids' theatrical experiences (and mine!)