Sunday, April 19, 2009

Baby original cast album


This is the first Maltby and Shire musical in my Year, and I'm shocked that it has taken me this long to get to one. In the past, I've found their music fun and frothy, although I don't know that I've seen one of their shows live on stage. Baby may have been their biggest hit. At least its the show I most closely associate with them, without ever having heard a song from it. Actually, that's not true, I had heard Danny's song "I Chose Right" before, although I didn't know it was from Baby.

The ensemble songs are the best in this show--although none of the music is listenable. I particularly liked the women's trio "I Want it All." This would be very good in any kind of cabaret setting. The duet for the college-student couple has very clever lyrics. Liz Callaway (sorry, I've seem to have misspelled her name previously; I'll work to correct) sing her big Act I closer "The Story Goes On" very well. Also the song "Patterns" maybe the best song of the score--why was it cut from the Broadway incarnation of the show? It has the most poetic lyrics of the bunch.

One song that is in the show and I would cut if I were producing it is "The Ladies Sing their Songs." While I liked the a capella section of the song, the rest of it left me flat. And since it takes a chorus of women (okay 5) to sing it, why include it?

The opening sequence narrated by Kim Criswell sounds very funny; I wonder what it looked like on stage. I imagine the film-strip images from junior high sex education classes. I liked the voices of the six primary characters--particularly Martin Vidnovic.

Baby
Music by David Shire
Lyrics by Richard Maltby, Jr.
Book by Sybille Pearson
Opened in 1983
Cast: Liz Callaway, Todd Graff, Beth Fowler, James Congdon, Martin Vidnovic, Catherine Cox

No comments: