Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Little Shop of Horrors film on DVD


I've seen this film many times, and always love it, so I'm surprised that I actually learned something new watching Little Shop of Horrors again. I didn't realize that the ending of the show was changed for the film. Hmmm.

Some of this music has to be the most lively, most clever ever written for the musical stage. Does that seems too strong a statement for what director Frank Oz called "a simple story of a boy, a girl, and a man-eating plant"? Well not for me; I could listen everyday to "Feed Me" or "Suddenly Seymour" or "Someplace That's Green."

Ellen Greene is the unique kind of talent that I am really drawn to. Granted, her uniqueness probably doesn't make her very hire-able, but she owns the role of Audry. I like the dichotomy between her cupie doll speaking voice and her powerful belt singing voice. Rick Moranis is not much of a singer, but he really inhabits the role of Seymour, and manages to hold his own singing with Greene and Levi Stubbs as Audry II. The cameo roles mostly get in the way for me enjoying the film; I think the "who's who" of comedians in these roles is distracting.

Little Shop of Horrors
Music by Alan Menken
Lyrics byHoward Ashman
Based on the Roger Corman film of 1960
Opened off-Broadway in 1983
Film released in 1986
Cast: Ellen Greene, Rick Moranis, Levi Stubbs, Vincent Gardenia, Michelle Weeks, Tisha Campbell, Tichina Arnold

No comments: