Monday, April 13, 2009

Ghost Light Monday -- The passing of an era


A few days ago, one of my musical mentors passed away. While not a professional or even amateur musician, my friend was a life-long devotee of classical music and a long-term patron of the arts. From her, I learned how to value musicians and how to strive to create an environment in which they could do their best work.

I was a some-time theatrical stage manager 15 years ago when I started being invited to musical evenings at the home of a well-to-do woman in her 60s whom I had met through a mutual friend, and whom I had gotten to know because I took care of her dog when she travelled. Often--I would say 12 or 15 times a year--she would host a salon evening with music provided by a professional symphony player. She would invite 30-40 people to be the audience in her living room, and everyone would share in a buffet dinner following the performance.

These evenings were like a modern-day version of a scene out of an Edith Wharton novel. In a pre-war co-op apartment over-looking Lincoln Park and Lake Michigan, this audience of interesting and appreciative people would be treated to a top-notch Chicago Symphony musicians playing chamber music works. Then everyone would mingle and dine in several rooms throughout her apartment.

As these evenings took on a life of their own, my friend decided to found and sponsor an annual competition for pre-professional musicians just completing their university or conservatory training. She hired me to help with the administration of the competition. For six years, I ran this competition, which was for a different instrument each year. During my tenure, I worked on contests for oboe, violin, piano (twice), and voice (twice). Through this work, I met many prominent musicians in Chicago, who served as musical advisers or judges for the competition. It lead directly to the job I currently have administering a public weekly chamber music series.

With my friend's death last week, I do feel like something very special has come to an end. Not many people open their home so willingly and so often, or work so hard to put together an interesting evening of entertainment and camaraderie. Not many people have such an appreciation of the art of the professional musician that they will strive so diligently to create an kind, supportive environment for that art to happen. It is a lesson I try to take with me in my own life, whether I am dealing with musicians, actors, or cab drivers.

I feel grateful that for so many years, I could see first hand how it should be done.

No comments: