Saturday, April 11, 2009

Judy Garland The Duets



I don't know much about how this compilation was put together, where or when the individual songs originally aired, or where or when the compilation was broadcast, but Judy Garland The Duets is a time-capsule of talent that was both new and old in the 1960s from the world of musical theater, musical film, and Big Band.

This is Judy in the later years, and while much of the music-making is exciting, it is sometimes hard to watch. You don't know if the mannerisms are due to something traumatic or are just mannerisms. Judy seems to need to hold on to everyone she sings with. Granted, given the frenetic pace of some of these medleys, she probably needed to hold on for dear life.

Some of the arrangements are wonderful, though, and I had not heard most of them. I particularly liked the version of the "Trolley Song" with Mel Torme. The medley of songs from West Side Story with Vic Damone was perhaps not the best selection.

Judy Duets
Music and lyrics by too many to name
Released on DVD in 2005
Cast: Judy Garland, Barbra Streisand, Tony Bennett, Ethel Merman, Bobby Darin, Count Bassie, Mickey Rooney, Lena Horne, Liza Minnelli, Peggy Lee, Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Mel Torme, Vic Damone

2 comments:

Ana L. Cousin said...

Oh Michael!

You've slipped in another Streisand moment (and a great one at that) with the Judy 'Duets' review! Even though the duet in question isnt reviewed, I know all the Mel Torme fans out there are beside themselves with excitement.

Just as one friend of Dorothy (and Judy!) to another, I think I've got your nerves in a twist (twister?) about the spelling of Ms StReisand's name!

I remain,

Ana L. Cousin

Michael, Chicago IL said...

Oh, Ana, would that my typing (or proof-reading) were as good as your spelling. I have corrected the offending misspelling, and have not forgotten about the two Streisand suggestions you made for my Year. Something's coming...