Friday, March 13, 2009

Myths & Hymns by Adam Guettel


I have been looking for a way to include some music of Adam Guettel in my Year, and thanks to a friend lending me this disc, I can start with Myths & Hymns. It's certainly not a Broadway musical, but Mr. Guettel is known as a Broadway composer, so I'll gladly including this work, which is more like a chamber music song cycle, or a semi-agnostic cantata.

Mr. Guettel is a member of the first family of Broadway--no, I don't mean the Nederlanders. He is the grandson of Richard Rodgers and the son of Mary Rodgers, both of whom have appeared in my Year already. He is best know for his show The Light in the Piazza, which I have not heard yet. I'm more anxious to hear that now that I've heard M & H, because I'm not certain how to take it's compositional style, or should I say styles. This is good, interesting songwriting for the most part.

The theme of these songs, which loosely tie them together, is longing--whether it be for God, or resolve, or heaven, or love. There is a slightly secular feel to many of the songs, but in all the hymns (adapted from an 1886 hymnbook) and in the original songs on mythological figures, someone is crying out for, or reaching out for something they don't have--and maybe something they shouldn't have.

I'm intrigued by the Temple Trio Hymnbook of 1886 that inspired the Hymns of this cycle. Old hymnals were a bit of an interest of mine a while ago, but that interest has taken a back seat to other things. The singers are good throughout, even if their style of singing is not my favorite style. There is a lot of squalling, which leaves me cold. Mr. Guettel does a lot of the singing, and I don't really care for his voice.
I look forward to listening to a score that is more involved with character than theme, to see how our Mr. Guettel delivers that.

Myths & Hymns
Music and lyrics by Adam Guettel
Additional lyrics by Ellen Fitzhugh
Recorded in 1999 based on a concert given in 1998
Cast: Adam Guettel, Theresa McCarthy, Audra McDonald, Mandy Patinkin, Darius de Haas, Vivian Cherry, Billy Porter, Annie Golden

1 comment:

krugie said...

I saw the original "concert" at the Public Theatre. Then, it was entitled "Saturn Returns" (which I like a lot better). I've seen a lot of musicals/concerts, etc.; I've NEVER been in a theatre where the standing ovation went on for 10 minutes--literally. It was an amazing night, and it's a shame this piece isn't mounted more.