Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Chess--concept album on CD


There are several versions of Chess that were recorded, and I look forward to hearing a version that was put on stage (it's been suggested I listen for Judy Kuhn in the Broadway version), but for today I am listening to the concept album that was released in anticipation of the show. If that last phrase is not very specific, it's purposeful; I don't know if this album was created to rouse audience interest in the original stage version or to raise money for the original stage version--maybe both.

Either way, when I listen to a staged version of the show, I'll be interested in what might happen to the long instrumental sections of the score. From a musical standpoint, they are some of my favorite parts of the score, but from a theatrical standpoint, they might really slow down the story-telling of the show. This seems particularly true in the second act of this two-disc set.

There is a lot of singing on this album that I like very much. Elaine Paige somehow finds a way to be strong up and down her whole range without getting too nasal or too pushed. I'm very interested in Tommy Korberg and what else he may have done--I like his singing very much. It is pop-twinged without loosing the core of its sound. "Anthem" has long been one of my favorite baritone songs. I look forward to hearing other singers present this song in later cast albums.


Chess
Music by Benny Anderssen, Bjorn Ulvaeus
Lyrics by Tim Rice
Concept Album released in 1984
Cast: Murray Head, Elaine Paige, Barbara Dickson, Tommy Korberg, Denis Quilley, Bjorn Skifs

No comments: