Friday, March 27, 2009

Miss Gulch Returns!--one man cast album on CD


This is my 200th entry in my musical Year, and if there is one thing I've learned it is that the breadth and depth of musical talent is endless and of tremendous variety. One type of musical I haven't yet thought about, is the one-person show. I've listened to albums that were just one person, but not a cabaret show that was. So today we have Miss Gulch Returns! composed by, lyrics by, sung by, and piano-accompanied by Fred Barton.
I admire anyone who can both play the piano and sing at the same time, since I can't do either singly very well. And Mr. Barton does each well--certainly better than some cabaret performers. But the real contribution from Mr. Barton is in his hysterical lyrics and the witty banter he has written for this cabaret evening.

The premise is that Almira Gulch, of Wizard of Oz fame, comes in off her bike to tell her side of the story. It's the back story that has made her the Wicked Neighbor with the dislike of little dogs, too.

The nine songs (two are reprised, and two more are "bonus" tracks unrelated to the primary material) that form the basis of this act are all funny, musical, and well-performed. A couple of them deserve to be heard in any cabaret context, or Bette Midler act; "Pour Me a Man" is particularly hysterical. "It's Not My Idea of A Gig" will be perfect for my planned Three Mo' 'Mos concert. "I'm a Bitch" could fit into many contexts.

Among Mr. Barton's credits is the premiere version of Forbidden Broadway review; I have that CD waiting for my thinking, but in the meantime I'll consider the very funny ways Miss Gulch is remembered in this collection of songs.

Miss Gulch Returns! The Wicked Musical
Music and lyrics by Fred Barton
Premiered in 1985; this live performance recorded in 1986
CD released in 1999 by Fab Music
Cast: Fred Barton

No comments: