Thursday, February 5, 2009

Ziegfeld Follies--film on DVD


Okay, it's time for me to get back to what I said I was going to listen to--Broadway cast albums. It's been so cold, I've been content to let the DVDs be delivered to my mailbox. And some of the Hollywood musicals have been interesting and worth seeing, but they are not really what gets my juices flowing. And in the dead of winter I need some juice.

Unfortunately, I didn't get much from the musical revue film Ziegfeld Follies. As this was a commercial success when released in 1946, I'm certain it attracted a good percentage of a generation being nostalgic about pre-War entertainment. But if this film is indicative of what a Follies show was like, then I'll give up ever being nostalgic. With a cast of thousands, as many stars as are in the heavens, and the entire set, costume, and music staffs of MGM studios, I could have hoped for better. I think this may be a case of too many cooks ruining the pot.

The comedy scenes (featuring Fanny Brice, Red Skelton and others) fall flat to me. They are probably classic vaudeville routines, but they didn't reach out to me across the footlights--well, really across the living room. The musical numbers--while often lavishly produced with a seemingly endless string of costumes, lighting effects and chorus girls--also did not arouse much interest in me.

There were three possible exceptions to my dim view which warrant mention. Lena Horne sings an interesting song "Love" that has a lovely melody, although needs a better B-section. Regardless, Ms. Horne is an incredibly watchable performer. The satire song that Judy Garland sings has potential, but doesn't get to its point quick enough. The routine of Gene Kelly and Fred Astaire has some very nice dancing.

I watched the extras to this DVD before watching the feature. Included is an interview with Kathryn Grayson who relates the story of her great dislike of the song by Roger Edens which she sings in the finale. While listening to this story, I thought "How bad can it be?" Well, stay tuned to the finale and listen to the cloying lyrics and go-nowhere melody of "Beauty."

Better yet, don't, and go to a real Broadway show instead.

Ziegfeld Follies of 1946
Music by who cares
Lyrics by many
Directed by Vincente Minnelli and others
Cast: Lucille Ball, Red Skelton, Fanny Brice, Fred Astaire, Kathryn Grayson, Gene Kelly, Lena Horne, Cyd Charrise, Judy Garland, Esther Williams

No comments: