Thursday, February 12, 2009

The Gondoliers--opera stage performance filmed for television


My search for a good Gilbert and Sullivan production continues, but this presentation by the Australian Opera in the Sydney Opera house filmed for television by ABC (Australian Broadcasting Company) has come closer than many of my forays into G & S. The primary aspect to enjoy in this production is the singing voices, which are all first-rate. Unfortunately, the recorded sound quality is very poor and makes it hard to understand much of the lyrics or truly appreciate the singing. The other production values are high-quality, particularly the costumes.

You know there is a but coming, and here it is. I don't like interpolation of modern lyrics into G&S. I realize that the original text poked fun at political and social items of the day, and there is a school of thought that to get across the nature of the song, you need to update those references to today. Well, my blue rinse is showing, but I like my operetta without references to Mick Jagger or the British Royal family.

I also don't approve of casting a man as the Duchess of Plaza-Toro. There are always fewer roles for women in theater and opera, why deny yet another role for a woman?

There is a ton of dancing in this production, and most of it done by the primary cast. I was surprised how well and how energetically it was performed, particularly by singers. The prime example is baritone Roger Lemke as Giuseppe. I liked his voice very much and he does some very athletic moves. Ooh, I just looked him up on imdb.com and Lemke was in Baz Luhrman's La Boheme. I'm off with a new obsession.

The Gondoliers
Music by Sullivan
Lyrics by Gilbert
Produced by the Australian Opera in 1990
Cast: Roger Lemke, Robert Gard, Graeme Ewer, David Hobson, Christine Douglas, Dennis Olsen, Fiona M, Susan Johnston, Fiona Maconaghie, Martin Croft

No comments: