Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Phantom of the Opera--film on DVD


I held off on seeing this film when it was released in 2004 and have held off seeing as part of my Year. I have to confess I liked the stage production of Phantom of the Opera when I saw it on tour back in the early 1990s. I feel a bit of a counterfeit liking something that is so populist, but I do. And I'm a bit disappointed by it at the same time. I want this show to be a better middle point between musical theater and opera. I want it to bridge the gap for some people, and introduce them to more "serious" music dramas. And despite my mother thinking Phantom is an opera because it's all sung, I know it's not; nor does it help usher anyone into the opera house. I speak figuratively, of course.

There are many aspects of this film that I very much like. The world of the Opera Populaire, with it's cavernous basements, ever-reaching catwalks, and uber-Gothic decor is fantastic. It's a place I want to explore; it's a world whose inner workings I want to understand. How do the gas-jet lights work? What does the guy in the catwalks do? Why is the chandelier on a pulley?

This is a very attractive cast. That's part of the problem. Frankly, Gerard Butler is so sexy as the Phantom, I'd choose him in a second over Raoul--facial scars and all. I saw The 300, I know what Gerard is packing! So what if I'd have to live the rest of my life in a dank basement. I think the Gothic extreme of the set decor and costume is totally justified, for this is a Gothic tale. About the only set that holds more candles than this film, is for a Barbara Walters Oscar special.

The voices are disappointing to me, mainly because I want them to be more operatic. Minnie Driver as Carlotta is dubbed with an opera voice that is as over-the-top in its cliched portamento as is Ms. Driver's acting performance. I don't know if Simon Callow and Ciaran Hinds are dubbed when singing or not, but either way they mostly speak the music. Gerard growls too much of the music for my taste. Patrick Wilson is bland as Raoul. I like the way Emmy Rossum looks as Christine, but her singing is a bit limpid for my ears--even if Christine is supposed to be 18 years old. While she doesn't really sing, I liked Miranda Richardson as the ballet mistress who knew the past of the Phantom. Is this aspect new for the the film? I don't remember it in the stage version.

Phantom of the Opera
Music by Andrew Lloyd Webber
Lyrics by Charles Hart
Opened in New York in 1988
Film released by Warner Bros. in 2004
Directed by Joel Schumacher
Cast: Gerard Butler, Emmy Rossum, Patrick Wilson, Simon Callow, Ciaran Hinds, Miranda Richardson, Minnie Driver

No comments: