Friday, February 6, 2009

42nd Street--film on DVD


Yes, I said yesterday I was going back to some old-fashioned cast albums, and here I am with an entry about a musical film. So sue me. But 42nd Street is the quintessential musical film. And it was made into a stage musical in 1980. I must put that cast album on my list, as it features the quintessential song and dance man Jerry Orbach.

In my recent foray into the dance world of Gene Kelly, I learned the difference between a hoofer and a dancer, thanks to some comments by Donald O'Connor. He describes himself as a hoofer--concerned with what his feet were doing, but not his upper body. He credits Kelly with making him dance using his whole body. Having seen his dancing for several earlier entries, I think O'Connor is being modest, but I understand the difference.

Well, 42nd Street is full of hoofers. There may not be any other type of dancer in this film. Ruby Keeler is a name I have often heard associated with early film musicals, and she is delightful from tip to tale. A good dancer with a fine singing voice. Ginger Rodgers has a secondary role as another member of the chorus; it's nice to remember that Ms. Rodgers was a comedienne, too.

The story is a tale oft' told, but may be one of the first times it's told in talkies. Young, untried chorus girl gets her big break when the star breaks her ankle and can't open the show. The script must contain every cliche of show business, and at times it does get a little hokey. But for the most part it works.

I did not know the name Harry Warren before seeing the opening credits to this film. He's the composer and he's written some nice songs for this score. The title song is the most famous from the score, but everything else is nice if a little dated.

42nd Street
Music by Harry Warren
Lyrics by Al Dubin
Directed by Busby Berkeley
Released by Warner Bros. in 1933
Cast: Ruby Keeler, Ginger Rogers, Dick Powell, Warner Baxter, Bebe Daniels

No comments: