Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Stop the World--I Want to Get Off original Broadway cast album


I guess depending on how the results of today's elections go, this title may be very prophetic for me. I have a book about becoming a Canadian citizen, and I'm not afraid to consider it. But onto the task at hand...

I have known the title of this show for ever, and known for quite a while that it was created by Anthony Newley and Leslie Bricusse, but didn't know anything about the show. Well, it turns out that show is all about Anthony Newley, as he is the only singing man in the show that he also co-created and directed. I wouldn't be surprised to learn he also sewed the costumes and sold the tickets. Given all that one-man-show stuff, I was prepared to be dismissive of the score and Mr. Newley's performance; however, there was a lot I liked on the Broadway album of Stop the World--I Want to Get Off.

The story surrounds the life of Littlechap, a Chaplin-like character (Charlie, not Sydney) as he goes through life reacting to the things that happen to him, but not really being an active participant. The show seems prescient of some Sondheim, particularly Company, in it's non-linear story-telling and unique production design. The look of the production wasn't discussed specifically in the thin liner notes to this CD reissue, but seems to be a circus theme with Newley in whiteface.

The only other singing role is taken by Anna Quayle as the various women that come and go in Littlechap's life. Both Ms. Quayle and Mr. Newley originated their roles in London before coming to the Broadway stage. The liner notes do include a rather funny letter from producer David Merrick stating why he was so taken by the production when he saw it in England and choose to bring it to New York. Basically, Mr. Merrick writes a love letter to Anthony Newley.

I had heard the song "What Kind of Fool am I" before, as well as Newley's gospel-inspired song "Gonna Build a Mountain." Both are good numbers. Newley's song "Mumbo Jumbo" does for politics what "Backstage Babble" in Applause did for the theater. The four songs that Ms. Quayle sings introducing the women she plays are hysterical: "Typically English", "Glorious Russian", Typiche Deutsche" and "All American" poke fun at attributes of each culture and Ms. Quayle delivers them well. The duets in the score don't really match the level of the solo numbers.

Stop the World--I Want to Get Off
Music, lyrics and book by Leslie Bricusse and Anthony Newley
Recorded in 1962, released on CD in 2001
Cast: Anthony Newley, Anna Quayle

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like your review. I don't know if Newley sewed the costumes or sold the tickets, but he certainly "did" the chorus girls.