Thursday, November 20, 2008

Kiss of the Spider Woman 1994 cast on CD


I thought at first this was the cast album from a revival, but it seems this was a replacement cast to the original run of Kiss of the Spider Woman. Hearing the strength of the cast, I can understand why they were recorded.
This is another show and another cast that really hits their marks with very little to argue against from the efforts of either songwriters Kander and Ebb or the three leads--Vanessa Williams, Howard McGillin, and Brian (soon to add the Stokes) Mitchell.
I knew Ms. Williams could sing, she has a big recording career, but I didn't realize how well she could morph her musical styles. Aurora calls for singing in many patische numbers and well as songs that directly address Molina. She handles them all with aplomb. If perhaps she doesn't quite capture speaking English with a Spanish accent, I'm sure many of her "Ugly Betty" cast mates could help her now.
I have spoken before how Mr. Mitchell represents what I love best about true Broadway Baritone singing. Valentin is required to sing some rangy music, and Mr. Mitchell handles it well, although is not often allowed to reach into the full breadth of his resonance with much of the singing. Mr. McGillin is a new name to me (although I have another cast album with him waiting for my Thinking). He has a very lithe and likable tenor voice, which he seems to be able to color in appropriate shades when needed. The emotional roller-coaster that Molina experiences in the show needs someone who won't approach each song with the same voice, and Mr. McGillin complies.
Some of the songs deserve a life outside the show, I think. And for the cabaret act I'm building in my head, I think I'll add Molina's final "At the Movies" to my show about songs about the movies. My cabaret audience won't need to know that the character has just been shot in the head.
Kiss of the Spider Woman
Music by John Kander
Lyrics by Fredd Ebb
1994 Broadway replacement cast
Cast: Vanessa Williams, Brian Stokes Mitchell, Howard McGillin

No comments: