Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Cats London production filmed for the tele


Don your leg warmers and shred your bath mat, because it's now and forever. It's Cats.

I believe this filmed version of the show was created with a mixed cast from several world productions and some notable returning actors who originated roles--most notably Elaine Paige. Having grown up listening to the Broadway cast album, with Betty Buckley as Grizabella, it was nice to hear Ms. Paige sing the iconic "Memory". It's interesting to think that Ms. Paige is singing this song that she first introduced 17 years earlier--she sounds vocally strong.
This may be the only time TS Eliot appears as one of the labels in my entries, unless there is a musical setting of "The Wasteland" that I've yet to discover. The poems that form the basis of the libretto for this show are delightful and full of whimsy. The irony is that while the poems are about cats on the surface, Eliot was actually commenting on the social structures of early 20th Century England--the structures of PEOPLE! But social commentary doesn't make for a good musical spectacular, so let's make them all cats.
I actually like much of the music from this show, and regretted any time the production values of this taping got in the way of watching and listening to the performers. There are several poorly edited moments in this DVD and some of the effects added to the taping that wouldn't have happened in a live stage performance which took away from my enjoyment of the show, rather than adding to it.
I received this DVD through Netflix and I think I'll hold on to it over the Thanksgiving holiday. Apparently my niece and nephews love singing along with the recording of Cats, but have not seen the production. I feel I should introduce them to the treacle before I show them the treats.
Cats
Music by Andrew Lloyd Webber
Lyrics by TS Eliot
The DVD says it was released in 1998.
Cast: Elaine Paige, John Mills, Ken Page, Rosemarie Ford, Michael Gruber, John Partridge and a lot of other furry folks

No comments: