Thursday, July 3, 2008

Nine 2003 Broadway Cast recording


Some days you have something to say. Some days you just have to say something.

I don't have much to say about Nine. I have no experience with Maury Yeston's music and have never seen one of his shows on stage. I think I need to, so I can understand how they are put together and how the music and the action interact. The cast album alone doesn't give me enough.

The music works best for me when its mimicking another style--such as "Folies Bergeres" or "Be Italian" or the Handelian Casanova sequence. Not to say there aren't other songs that catch my ear. Claudia's "A Very Unusual Way" is a beautiful song (sung here by Laura Benanti, who just won the Tony for portraying Gypsy), and Mary Stuart Masterson is very effective singing "My Husband Makes Movies." But much of the rest of the music doesn't capture me, as I suspect the stage action would.

Chita Rivera, though, is in this cast and how can you not applaud her with a stellar career that started 50 years before this production and continues to this day?

Nine
Music and Lyrics by Maury Yeston
Book by Arthur Kopit
2003 Broadway Cast Recording
Released by PS Classics
Cast: Antonio Banderas, Jane Krakowski, Laura Benanti, Mary Stuart Masterson, Chita Rivera

No comments: