Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Company 2006 Broadway production filmed for television on DVD


RRRRRRauuuuuuuuuuullll!

This entry is for a friend who introduced me to the charms of Raul Esparza. A Sondheim fan, she went to the Kennedy Center and saw Mr. Esparza perform. She came back singing "Marry Me A Little, Raul!" And who can blame her. Mr. Esparza seems the perfect embodiment of Bobby--the guileless bachelor at the center of Company--charming, vulnerable, flirty, and handling all the twists and turns of Sondheim's music.

This stage production was by John Doyle and it uses the actors as the orchestra as well. I imagine the audition process: "You sang 'Not Getting Married Today' very well, I could understand every word. Can you play the trumpet?" It's an interesting form, although I don't know if it really adds anything to my understanding of this work of theater.

In a discussion on the extras of the DVD, Raul Esparza talks about how much he tried to strip away the theatricalities of Bobby to be a true observer in the play, and that seems the right approach, where Bobby reacts to so much, but isn't an active participant until the finale (when for the first time, not coincidentally, he plays an instrument).

This production is well-filmed for television, with lots of camera angles and camera movement. I wonder if that runs counter to the feeling when one saw the play live on stage. Except for a couple of very choreographed songs, with instrumentalists/singers bounding all over the stage, a lot of Company seems like it would be purposefully visually static.

Musically the show is very satisfying, with each song well-performed. Barbara Walsh seems to channel (or should I say Chanel) Elaine Stritch in the "Ladies Who Lunch" song.

Company
Music and Lyrics by Stephen Sondheim
Book by George Furth
2006 Broadway production
Directed by John Doyle
Produced for WNET Channel Thirteen New York
Released on DVD by Image Entertainment
Cast: Raul Esparza, Kelly Jeanne Grant, Angel Desai, Elizabeth Stanley, Matt Castle, Amy Justman, Fred Rose, Leenya Rideout, Keith Buterbaugh, Kristin Huffman, Robert Cunningham, Heather Laws, Bruce Sabath, Barbara Walsh

3 comments:

Hixx said...

Who is this lovely, smart, talented and hilarious friend you speak of?

I really didn't enjoy the instrument thing, I just didn't...you know of course, I saw this in previews in Cincinnati and I just don't get it. I really thought it took away from the intimacy of Company.

But alas, my dear sweet Raul...come to momma.

Michael, Chicago IL said...

I'm not certain I remember the lovely, smart, talented and hilarious friend as it's been so long since we got together...

I kinda agree about the instrument thing. Maybe it makes more sense in the production of Sweeney Todd, which has kind of a macabre English Music Hall feeling to it already.

Anonymous said...

I saw the show in NYC, and I saw the TV version...and I actually appreciate the TV version. It's an intimate show, and the closer you get (yes, to Raul, but also to the whole cast), the better. I thought the instrument use was better integrated into Sweeney Todd. Esparza's breakdown at the end in the theater? Wow. Wow. Wow.

If you're interested in why and how John Doyle works this way, there's an interview with him on the American Theater Wing website that's very interesting.

Good luck on your quest...what a nice year you've planned for yourself.