Monday, July 14, 2008

Ghost Light Monday--I am not myself these days

Another book review for my "dark" night. I don't want you to think I only spend time alone in my apartment listening to cast albums or watching musicals on DVD. I also spend time alone in my apartment reading.

I am not myself these days is the memoir of a drag queen/alcoholic and his/her seven month relationship with a male hooker/drug addict. Good times. With all those slashes you might not realize that this memoir is humorous.

Author Josh Kilmer-Purcell (oh, god there are hyphens as well as slashes?) takes the stance of 'that which does not kill me makes me apply more glitter lip gloss'. While the relationship between Josh and "Jack" is destructive in many ways, Mr. Kilmer-Purcell seems to have come to the belief that a loving, healthly relationship is possible, if we can just get past all the costumes we wear.

I first encountered Mr. Kilmer-Purcell while reading the daily guest entries on the Powell's Books website. His entries struck me as funny and I thought his books might, too. He has a polished, humorous writing style that helped lighten what could have been a dark, Gus Van Sant-like story.

I've purchased Mr. Kilmer-Purcell's second book, a novel entitled Candy Everybody Wants, which the author describes as a good beach read rife with 80s pop culture references. It awaits another Monday entry, probably after some bad summer burn/peel sessions.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey thanks, michael! i appreciate that you picked up the book, and glad you liked it.

hugs and fishes,
josh k-p (and aqua)

Michael, Chicago IL said...

Thank you, Josh. I've just started Candy Everyone Wants and am enjoying it. Your comedic touch is as subtle Bonnie Franklin's acting.