Friday, July 11, 2008

Music Man 2003 television production on DVD

If my goal for this Year is to see if I can be re-inspired by musical theater, then Music Man should be the perfect show to set my juices running again. And for the most part this 2003 television production works its magic on me. The production is well-filmed with high production values and manages to retain the presentational style of a stage production without being trapped by static camera positions.

I've never seen this show live and I need to, because I think that a lot of the charm of Harold Hill needs to work its way across the footlights. Matthew Broderick is good, but doesn't quite capture the somewhat slimy side of the character for me. Hill needs a bit of the sexy scoundrel. Or maybe that's just what would work on this sadder by wiser girl.

Kristin Chenoweth makes her third appearance in my Year (which is only six weeks old). Sorry, I'm trying to vary composer and lyricist teams and eras of the productions as much as I can, but am sometimes stymied by what I have, what's available, and what's delivered to me by Netflix.

Anyway, Marian is oddly dressed to me. Is that a dig, that my comment about Ms. Chenoweth's performance refers to her costumes, which she probably had little to do with other than wearing? Marian's costumes are very ornate with lots of dangley things and metal pieces and a large variety of patterns in single garments. Has Marian succeeded so well at holding her dreams at bay, only to let her wild side show in her clothing?

Music Man
Music, lyrics and book by Meredith Willson
2003 Television production by the Walt Disney Company
Cast: Matthew Broderick, Kristin Chenowith, Molly Shannon, Debra Monk, Victor Garber

2 comments:

Hixx said...

Will you watch the Robert Preston version too?

I love that one.

Eff Matthew Broderick, he wouldn't know Harold Hill if a tuba fell on him. Go old school...

Michael, Chicago IL said...

Yes, I will definitely watch the Robert Preston version, too, but probably not for a while, since I don't want to repeat shows, even in different versions, too soon.

I totally agree with you about going old school. There's nothing like a closeted gay man to really bring out the best in a musical theater role.

Thanks Hixx.