Thursday, June 19, 2008

The Mikado Television Production on DVD


Quick, hie me to my Netflix queue to remove the other Gilbert & Sullivan productions in this series from my list. If this production of The Mikado is any indication, the whole series, created for television in the 1980s, is dreadful.

I was suspect when the production was introduced by Douglas Fairbanks, Jr. I'm sure you're either asking "Who?", or if you know who, then you are asking "Why?" as I was. Then the cast credits rolled and William Conrad was listed as the Mikado--again the who/why scenario.

The production was created for television and is shot on a sound stage. The is no audience, and no applause between musical numbers, which only adds to the leaden feeling of the whole thing. The London Symphony Orchestra provides the music, but it sounds as if they and the chorus are being piped in from a shed around back.

The staging vascillates between traditional presentational, proscenium-like choreography, and mugging in asides to the camera, which are awkwardly edited. While I don't recognize any cast members other than Mr. Conrad, the cast must be a mix of performers and personalities, because the performances are a real mixed bag of styles.


The Mikado
By Gilbert & Sullivan
1982 production created for BBC Television
Cast: I will not use their names to protect the innocent, except for William Conrad, who really should have known better.

1 comment:

Hixx said...

Mikado was the first show I was ever in. I thought "braid the raven hair" was "braid the ravens hair", I was really confused.

Grew up on G&S though, so if you're getting bad productions, switch!