Tuesday, June 10, 2008

A Chorus Line Film on DVD

I saw the film A Chorus Line for the first time when it was released in France in 1986. I was doing a semester abroad and was desperate for some English. In France, the film was released in English with French subtitles. I remember very little of the film, except that by listening to the English and watching the subtitles, I learned quite a few French slang terms--now mostly forgotten with the rest of my French--except the slang term for gay, which is pede (with an accent aigu over the final e). I guess we remember the things that are most important.

I've never seen the show live on stage in a professional production. I could have my gay card revoked for admitting that. I'll do some extra credit as make up.

A Chorus Line is one of the shows that depresses me at first. I know which side of the white line I would be on. Dance 2, Looks 4. It also strikes me as the struggle of individuals to become one of many. To steal a line from Marc Acito (see June 2 entry), these people are clawing their way to the middle. On the other hand, all the of the songs give voice to the individual struggles of the characters, so maybe this show has the best of both worlds.

I think there is a lot in this show that's prescient of what we're experiencing now. Is Chorus Line the predecessor to So You Think You Can Dance, Dancing with the Stars, that show where they found the leads for the revival of Grease?

A Chorus Line
Music by Marvin Hamlisch
Lyrics by Edward Kleban
Conceived and choreographed by Michael Bennett
1986 film by Richard Attenborough
Cast: Michael Douglas, Terrence Mann, Alyson Reed, and a whole lot of other talented people to whom I apologize.

No comments: