Monday, June 9, 2008

Ghost Light Monday--Tribute to Mel Larimer

My "dark" night this week is indeed dark. I learned this past week that Mel Larimer passed away earlier this Spring. For anyone who spent summers at Interlochen National Music Camp in the 70s or 80s, Mel was a choral conductor and music director for the Camp's Gilbert & Sullivan productions.

I had never heard of Gilbert & Sullivan when I went to Interlochen for the first time in the summer of 1982, but happened to fall into the production of Iolanthe and had a great time being one of somewhere around 150 choristers in the show. Mel and his stage director partner, Dude Stephenson, were the reasons so many campers wanted to be part of the operetta each summer--it wasn't just theater students and singers, but also dancers, instrumentalists, anyone who wanted to be part. The next summer I made a point of being in The Mikado, again with Mel and Dude--somehow keeping all us kids on the same stage and the same page.

Mel always expected the best from everyone and treated each person with the respect to get the best out of everyone. He was positive, encouraging and helpful to kids like me who had a lot of enthusiasm but little experience or training. I remember him being a particularly patient and kind presence during auditions for the principal roles, never showing how tiresome it must have been to listen to all those auditions.

During my senior year of high school, I auditioned for Mel at Albion College in Michigan where he was the choir and vocal music director. I remember thinking it seemed I'd disappointed him when I chose another college.

According to the obituary in the Interlochen newsletter, Mel retired in 1996 after more than 30 years with the camp. I hope Interlochen continues to mount an operetta each summer. And I hope the kids lining up to be maidens, Pirates, peers, or fairies have someone as good as Mel Larimer to get them all on the same page.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I only today heard of the passing of Mel Larimer. He was a person who had such an impact on my life that it is hard to describe. He appeared several times at my high school choir door for recruiting over a three year period and encouraged me to apply and audition at Olivet College. At the time I felt that my family could not possibly afford college. Besides, no one in my family had even been to college. Mel understood but still invited me to be in the State Fair Honor's Choir in Detroit after my senior year and after the season at Interlochen. He also selected me for the solo in "Michigan Morn" to share with two others. After a semester at community college and working for another year and a half, I decided that it was now or never. I called Mel at Olivet and as anyone reading this will recall he seemed to remember everyone. I asked if the invitation to audition was still open and of course he said yes. The rest as they say is history. My career as a performer, educator and music educator have all come as a result of Mel Larimer and his personal attention and confidence in me. I have discovered that having a positive impact on the lives of individuals, groups and students is something you may not realize at the moment. I was lucky enough to see Mel in Albion in 1994 when I was running for State Representative and let him know the impact he had on my life. Looking back I am very glad to know I had that opportunity.