Monday, June 2, 2008

Ghost Light Monday -- Attack of the Theater People


I've decided to be "dark" on Mondays. But that doesn't mean I won't have something to say. I'm instigating what I'll call Ghost Light Monday entries. Rather than responding to a specific musical, I'll use Mondays to talk about some thing else--musical or not.

For the first Ghost Light Monday, I thought I would share how I came across the idea for this year-long journey. Earlier this year, I read two comic novels by Marc Acito, a New Jersey-born, Oregon-living writer with a musical theater past. His novels How I Paid for College and Attack of the Theater People follow a group of high school and college-aged theater geeks (in all the glorious range of personalities which that can entail) through adventures in New Jersey and New York City. I started reading Attack first, not knowing it was a sequel. The opening chapter was so hysterical that I decided I needed to read the first book first.

If you go to Marc's website, you'll see he has a blog, and he has decided to do one new thing each day. My response after reading several entries and being so entertained by his novels--which are rife with musical theater references and in-jokes--was that his entries should be about musical theater, like a musical-a-day. Then I thought, no, that should be my blog. So, here we go...

No comments: