Monday, July 20, 2009

Classical Monday--Benjamin Britten's Gloriana


I'm over-reaching my primary mission a bit for today's entry, although I've talked about English-language operas before. I actually wasn't certain what Gloriana was before I put the dvd in the player. As someone who likes Britten's music and seeks it out when I can, I had heard the name of this piece before, but thought it might be a sacred cantata. Well, its a full-fledged opera, grander than any Britten opera I've encountered before, even Billy Budd.

Written to commemorate Elizabeth II's coronation, Gloriana tells part of the story of that monarch's namesake, Elizabeth I. In particular, the plots follows the relationship between Robert Devereux, Earl of Sussex and the Queen, and how that relationship falters after he fails to secure Ireland for the crown. While this relationship was rumored to be intimate, the opera portrays nothing unseemly, nor does it refer to that aspect--I assume in deference to the second Elizabeth regina.

Apparently, the current Queen Elizabeth didn't care for the opera and it was a bit of a critical failure when premiered in 1953. I can't quite imagine that; I loved almost everything about this 1984 English National Opera production. Of course, much of what worked for me was the performance of Sarah Walker in the title role (Gloriana is a moniker given to E1 by Edmund Spenser in The Faerie Queene).

Ms. Walker (pictured above) is riveting as an actress, breathtaking as a singer, and proves herself a bit of a dancer as well. She rules any scene in which she appears (justly so) and even when in a more passive position, such as during a masque performed on stage, Ms. Walker's character is a glory to watch. The role requires a huge singing range, and Ms. Walker who is nominally a mezzo-soprano is thrilling from top to bottom.

The libretto for this opera is by William Plomer and it is one of the strongest aspects of this work; if you watch this production on dvd, include the English subtitles so you can see the text. I find the poetry wonderful, clever when needed, comic when appropriate, and rhapsodic most of the rest of the time.

The music is at times challenging, but never off-putting as I sometimes think Britten can be. There is a lot of dance music, many fanfares, and a couple of songs accompanied by lute. The large chorus has a lot to sing and at times it is unaccompanied and beautiful.
I'm not certain why this opera does not appear more often in the repertory.

Perhaps it is because Ms. Walker has retired.

Gloriana
Music by Benjamin Britten
Libretto by William Plomer
based on the book Elizabeth and Essex by Lytton Strachey
premiered in 1953
this production filmed in 1984
Cast: Sarah Walker, Anthony-Rolfe Johnson
Conducted by Mark Elder

No comments: