Friday, July 24, 2009

Chess--Broadway Cast Album



I don't like the graphic for the Broadway incarnation of this show nearly as much as the British version with its cascading checkerboard. The British concept album of Chess is the version I have imprinted on my brain, as I owned that album in college. So how would the American version (and an actual cast album, as opposed to a conceptualized version) compare? Very well, actually.

Previously when I had talked about liking Judy Kuhn's voice in a different show, a reader suggested I listen to the Broadway Chess album to get a real sense of Ms. Kuhn's abilities. Thank you for suggestion that, this album demonstrated her to be an an amazing singer, and there is a lot of her to enjoy on this cast album. Even more than there was of Elaine Paige on the concert album. Besides "Heaven Help My Heart" and the duet "I Know Him So Well" the Broadway version has a new song "Someone Else's Story" which is a wonderful addition to the score.

From just listening to the score, it seems like the focus of the show is placed firmly on Florence, with the competition between the Russian and the American more secondary. I wonder if the production supported that focus, or if I'm misreading it?

Philip Casnoff and David Carroll both have nice voices, and I have nothing to complain about either man's singing, although they do sound a bit alike to me. The photos included in the liner booklet also make them look a bit alike too. Maybe the producers wanted Florence to have a specific "type" of man, but from this listener's audiopoint and viewpoint, I wanted some differences--at least vocally.

There is an interesting note in the liner how the lyrics of "Endgame" were changed without the consent of lyricist Tim Rice. What could be so show-altering to warrant this footnote?

Chess
Music by Benny Andersson and Bjorn Ulvaeus
Lyrics by Tim Rice
Created in 1984, the Broadway production opened in 1988
Cast: Judy Kuhn, Philip Casnoff, David Carroll

No comments: