Friday, July 10, 2009

Cabaret--New Broadway Cast album


Days after her tragic death, I found the cast album of the 1998 Broadway (and Roundabout Theater) incarnation of Cabaret with Natasha Richardson. It has taken me until now to listen to it, and I'm not certain why.

I've only ever seen the film version of Cabaret which I talked about months ago. As the film severely streamlines the story (and cuts out all of the romance between the older couple) a lot of this music was new to me. I liked it all--from pastische Viennese waltzes, to ersatz Nazi propaganda songs, to raunchy cabaret acts, to show-stopper belt ballads--I liked it all.

Ms. Richardson made a splash in the role primarily for her acting, I believe. It is hard to make that case in a recording. I found her singing somewhat wanting. I realize that some have criticized Liza Minnelli for being too good--"How would she ever be stuck in this third-rate Berlin nightclub?" But there are times when I want my underdog characters to over reach their abilities. Perhaps Ms. Richardson's performance did that, but her voice was merely adequate and didn't push even an emotional extreme until the very end of the title song at the end of Act II. She underplays the Act I "Maybe This Time" and I felt this was a mistake.

It is difficult to judge Alan Cumming's performance just from the audio recording. He sings everything well and seems to have a strong sense of how to approach each number.

One interesting aspect to this recording--there are audience reactions (applause, laughs, etc.) to the tracks which take place in the cabaret setting. I assume these reactions are electronically added, rather than being from a live studio audience. It helps make the case for which scenes are show-scenes and which are within the storyline.
The very good liner notes outlining the history of the Cabaret from Isherwood stories to re-incarnated Broadway show provide a lot of interest information. I was particularly interested to know that Jane Horracks played Sally Bowles in the 1992 London Donmar Warehouse production that formed the basis for this Broadway version. Jane Horracks is mostly known as "Bubble" the ditsy assistant on "Absolutely Fabulous." I've heard she has a tremendous singing voice, though.
I wonder if that version was recorded?

Cabaret
Music John Kander
Lyrics by Fred Ebb
Book by Joe Masteroff
Originally produced in 1966
This production played in London in 1992 and then came to New York in 1998
Directed by Sam Mendes
Cast: Natasha Richardson, Alan Cumming, Mary Louise Wilson, Ron Rifkin, John Benjamin Hickey, Denis O'Hare

No comments: