Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Rent film on DVD


For Christmas Eve, I have a show that begins and end on two Christmas Eves. It is a coincidence, 'cuz I didn't know this about the show.

I lived in a cultural cave for much of the 1990s, so I had actually never seen Rent on stage or heard much of the score in recordings. I had heard the song "Seasons of Love" as it seems to be sung by every group from the Chicago Gay Men's Choir to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, proving those two diverse groups perhaps have more in common than not. Can't we all just get along and sing?

Chris Columbus's 2005 film version of the 1996 stage show has much to admire in it. Firstly, Mr. Columbus is an accomplished filmmaker, able to create both intimate moments and full-blown production numbers--and this show requires both.

While it is admirable that much of the original company was cast in the film, I do question how the nearly 10 years of experience may have seasoned these performers beyond what the show's theme can handle. What probably were more raw performances on stage, didn't quite feel believable to me in the film. Of course, this may be due to what I know about the performers' careers after hitting it big in this show. Taye Diggs in now a TV star in a spin-off show. Rosario Dawson is a film star. Idina Mendez is not only married to Taye Digss, but became an even bigger stage star in Wicked. Adam Pascal went on to star in Elton John's Aida. Anthony Rapp went on to be Charlie Brown. Jesse L. Martin is also a star in a bonafide TV franchise. Did I mention this show is about growing up and selling out?

I don't begrudge any of these performers their successes; I only point it out because knowledge of the casts' careers prevented me from believing their characters' viewpoint in this film.

There are a lot of ideas in this film--perhaps too many, which could be the curse of a young playwright, Jonathan Larson. I felt the love affair between Roger and Mimi was cheated a bit, while the death of Angel, the ups and downs of Joanne and Maureen, and the career track of Mark were given equal billing.

There are also a lot of ideas in the music and lyrics of Mr. Larson's score, which again prevents some of the songs from being as powerful as they might be. But I was surprised how much I did like the music in this show--which is not normally my musical cup of ti, or do re mi, either. Ms. Mendez is a powerful singer and I wished to hear more from her. Ms. Dawson did not impress me with her singing, but her pole dancer number was great. Mr. Rapp has a pleasant voice that reached into the upper register effectively. Mr. Pascal perhaps suffered the most under my interest in his 10 years since the live show premiered; he didn't feel or sound believable to me as a raw, rock talent. Perhaps that sound comes through on the 1996 cast album.

Rent
Music, lyrics and book by Jonathan Larson
Opened on Broadway in 1996
Film directed by Chris Columbus premiered in 2005
Cast: Adam Pascal, Anthony Rapp, Idina Menzel, Taye Diggs, Rosario Dawson, Tracy Thomas, Jesse L. Martin, Wilson Jermaine Heredia

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe there's a show that I have seen on stage that you haven't! I saw it in Chicago, can't even remember when, but I think it was with Phil. I recall thinking that I didn't care at all about any of the characters...had no empathy for any of the situations, and was not grieved when Angel died. For some reason, my recollection is that they were all a bunch of whiners that thought they were entitled to everything. I don't know why I had such strong feelings about it; I usually enjoy something about just about everything!