Friday, October 10, 2008

Sunday in the Park with George stage version on DVD


Do you think Georges Seurat was OCD? What about Stephen Sondheim? How about Mandy Patinkin? I say meds are needed all around.

Fortunately, everyone is at the height of their powers in the creation and performance of Sunday in the Park with George, filmed from the stage musical in 1985. Sondheim, Patinkin, Peters, Lapine and even Seurat combine in some kind of alchemy to produce one of the greatest musicals of all time--beloved by many.

Movement and stillness are important components of this production, and I assume director and book writer James Lapine is due the thanks for so carefully choreographing this aspect of the show. Light also plays an important part of the show, and the physical aspects of the production are exceptionally good and really help build the drama (not to mention the painting) in the first act.

I was surprised by my reaction to Act Two. I have never seen this show on stage, but had heard the cast album many times. I was prepared to think less highly of the second act than I did of the first act. Judging just by the music, it feels, at times, a little preachy on issues that have been dealt with more subtly in the first act. On the contrary, I found the second act very emotionally moving. I had a good cry during it, actually. Perhaps it was because of the family connection that Marie dotes on, or the love of a grandparent exhibited by second act George, but it was very moving. I was moved. Now I have to move on.

Sunday in the Park with George
Music and lyrics by Stephen Sondheim
Book and stage direction by James Lapine
Original broadway cast filmed on stage in 1986
Cast: Bernadette Peters, Mandy Patinkin, Charles Kimbrough, Brent Spiner, Barbara Bryne

No comments: