Saturday, October 11, 2008

Calamity Jane film on DVD


I mistakenly thought this was a film version of what had been a stage musical, but it turns out it was pure Hollywood. Still, Calamity Jane has a lot of the same vim and vigor as you would expect from a stage musical, and it has baritone favorite Howard Keel who makes his first appearance in my Year. Plus it has a drag number and log-cabin lesbians!

And how could I turn my back on Doris Day, who gives an energetic and athletic performance as Calam? It also brought the world the song "Once I had a Secret Love" which remains a staple of the Doris Day songbook. While the rest of the music is enjoyable, it's not nearly as memorable as that one.
Calamity Jane
Music by Sammy Fain
Lyrics by Paul Francis Webster
Screenplay by James O'Hanlon
Released by Warner Bros. in 1953
Cast: Doris Day, Howard Keel, Allyn McLerie, Philip Carey

No comments: