Monday, October 13, 2008

Ghost Light Monday -- Apparition of the Eternal Church documentary film


I'm definitely stepping outside the world of musical theater with this one, oddly while still being in the worlds of both music and theater.

Last week I went to a showing of a documentary film. Apparition of the Eternal Church was being shown as part of a festival of the music of Olivier Messiaen and related programs. The title of the film is taken from an organ work of Messiaen, L'apparition de l'eglise eternale. Film-maker Paul Festa has 31 people listen to a recording of the 1931 organ work through headphones and comment on what there are hearing. The film audience doesn't hear the organ piece until afterward. In the case of the showing I attended, the work was played live by Bruce Barber, organist and music director of St. James Episcopal Cathedral, where the screening took place.

The range of reactions and emotions the film depicts is surprising. Even as someone who knows a little about Messiaen's organ music, I was taken aback by how deeply some of the film's subjects were affected by the music, and by how they found their personal experiences reflected in the piece.

Film-maker Paul Festa is a Juilliard-trained violinist who suffered a hand injury due to over-use (I assume playing the violin) and has had to look for musical inspiration outside of performing. Following the screening and music performance, Mr. Festa read from a book he has written about the project and answered questions. Probably in his middle 30s, Mr. Festa is a charming, charismatic personality, whose enthusiasm is infectious. Alright, I'll say it: he's freakin' adorable. Dressed in a golden Aladdin-like tunic and pants with curly-toed slippers, Mr. Festa bounded about St. James Cathedral taking questions as if riding on a magic carpet.

Even apart from my personally being taken with Mr. Festa, however, the film is worth seeking out, and a good reminder of the power that music can have. Currently it is only being show as part of film and music festivals, though, I believe.

Apparition of the Eternal Church
A film by Paul Festa
Cast: 31 people, only two of whom had been known to me before-hand--Harold Bloom, and Marga Gomez

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I saw this film last Winter during a Messiaen festival in my home town, Maastricht, The Netherlands. I was a Messiaen fan already, but this film made me realize why. Listening to his spiritual music is a purely physical experience. Ever since, I try and get hold of a dvd, if it exists.