Thursday, September 11, 2008

Godspell film on DVD


I can't believe that the film versions of Jesus Christ Superstar and Godspell came out in the same year, 1973. There are very different in style, tone, and even in their religious viewpoints, although both end the story with the crucifixion and don't refer to resurrection (hmmm). This is composer/lyricist Stephen Schwartz's second appearance in my Year.

My Midwestern, protestant upbringing in the 70s included knowing and loving much of the music from Godspell, although I don't think I saw the film until years later. I still love the music, but find the story-telling techniques and production style very dated. The broad clowning to enact the parables between songs falls flat to me. And it struck me as very odd that the New York City scenes are void of people, making the ministry of Christ seem very insular.

The cast was probably all unknowns in 1973 (although two are from the original 1971 off-Broadway stage version of show). Today Victor Garber (Jesus) and Lynne Thigpen are well-known, respected actors. It was fun to see them in their pre-CSI-Law&Order-Alias (pick your tv franchise) days. The World Trader Center towers are all over this film (including in the photo I've uploaded for this entry), and I can't help but realize that this posting is going up on September 11th.

Godspell
A Musical based upon the Gospel According to St. Matthew
Music and lyrics by Stephen Schwartz
Film directed by David Greene released by Columbia Pictures
Cast: Victor Garber, Lynne Thigpen, David Haskell, Katie Hanley, and several others.

1 comment:

Hixx said...

Godspell is one of my favorites. It is SO dated...but I have more songs from Godspell on my ipod than any other musical.

Odd that.

And I haven't been to church in probably...30 years.