Friday, September 19, 2008

Bells Are Ringing film on DVD


I have never seen this show either live on stage or this film version. And don't believe I have ever seen Judy Holliday in any performance. She recreates the role that earned her a Tony Award in Bells Are Ringing.

While this is straight out of the heyday of Broadway shows, this one doesn't capture me as others have. Ms. Holliday is a charming and funny performer, with enough vulnerability and ability with both physical and verbal comedy to warrant her reputation. But a lot of the rest of the story and performances don't quite reach the level they should be for me.

Some of the music, too, doesn't quite do it for me. I was particularly disappointed in the chorus number "It's a Simple Little System." I kept looking for Stubby Kaye to arrive and show us how this number show be. No offense to Eddie Foy Jr who leads the chorus in this number, I think the song is not developed as well or as broadly as it could have been.

Dean Martin is well cast as playwright Jeffrey Moss who needs a mother to look after him and bolster his confidence. His singing of the jazz-tinged songs of Jule Styne is just right, as well as just in time. I notice that Sydney Chaplin played Jeffrey in the Broadway original. I believe he was also the original Nick Arnstein in Funny Girl. I must find a recording with his singing, because I don't know anything about him.


Bells are Ringing
Music by Jule Styne
Book and Lyrics by Betty Comden and Adolph Green
1960 film directed by Vincente Minnelli
Cast: Judy Holliday, Dean Martin, Jean Stapleton, Eddie Foy Jr., Hal Linden

No comments: