Friday, January 2, 2009

The Ten Commandments: The Musical live performance on DVD


Val Kilmer's just had a birthday. He might not consider this a gift.

I had known of this musical for several years, but had never heard any songs from it. Well, after watching two hours of The Ten Commandments: The Musical, I'm not certain I've heard any songs from it yet. The score of this show falls into that category of employing musical phrases that don't really add up to songs--a sort of Broadway recitative that I've found annoying before and which reached a new low for me in this show.
Add to that the feeling that this show must be where 4th place American Idol singers go to die. Everyone (except Mr. Kilmer as Moses) seems to squall and whoop and holler like they're trying to arouse Simon Cowell. Well, I'm sorry to emulate that well-documented curmudgeon, but that singing just won't do.

If Mr. Kilmer could actually sing, he may have offered a nice alternative to all the caterwauling around him, but his voice seems under-supported with no upper register. I found it odd that so much of the show was sung around Moses, rather than by Moses, but given Kilmer's vocal limitations, and the composer's want of power-wailing, I guess that's what has to be. All of the significant moments in Moses' life have songs sung by other characters (Moses finds out he's a Jew, song by his mother; Moses hears the voice of God in the burning bush, no song; Moses meets his wife, song by the wife; Moses brings the tablets down from Mt. Sinai, song by some child).

All this makes Moses seem a little passive in his own story. And Mr. Kilmer complies in his acting.
This show seems to have died its deserved death after playing the Kodak Theater in Los Angeles.

The Ten Commandments: The Musical
Music by Patrick Leonard
Original French Score by Pascal Obispo
Lyrics by Maribeth Derry
Presented in a limited run at the Kodak Theater in Los Angeles in 2004
Taping of live performance released on DVD in 2006
Cast: Val Kilmer, Kevin Earley, Lauren Kennedy, Ipale, Adam Lambert, Alisan Porter, Nita Whitaker, Luba Mason, Michele Pereira, Nick Rodriguez

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perhaps this would be a good entry for "The Annoying Music Show" on NPR!

Anonymous said...

I think this musical is fantastic. I agree Val Kilmer hasn't the best vocal in the world, but his placid approach made it all the more appealing. Moses was a mild mannered man, and this is how Val portrays him. The other vacals, costumes and dancers were amazing. I loved it. I have to admit, the first time I saw it I wasn't sure, but since seeing it a couple more times, I now find I'm humming the tunes!

Cate said...

I knew I saw that Adam Lambert (American Idol 8) somewhere! I actually love his singing parts there -- not to mention, nice legs haha.

Val Kilmer "singing" is a bit distracting, IMO.

Anonymous said...

Who wrote the music and lyrics? Who was in the band? Why doesn't anyone ever credit all those who helped perform the music? If it's a musical, and it is, and there is a DVD or CD, then why not acknowledge ALL the people who contributed to making the music to back up the singers....And PLEASE...tell me who wrote "Is Anybody Listening?"