Monday, January 12, 2009

Ghost Light Monday--Wall-E on DVD


I had not been interested in seeing this film due mostly to my feeling that in past Pixar films I found the CG lacking in warmth and humanity--perhaps an unfair gripe with an animated film. Well, thanks to a rousing endorsement from some trusted friends who know my film and television likes and dislikes very well, I watched Wall-E on DVD for my non-musical entry this Monday. I'm very glad I did, for this film has changed my view of what an animated movie can be.

It can be charming; it can be emotional; it can convey feelings; it can mimic humanity. I don't ask much more from live actors I see perform, so why would I look for more than this from animation? Often the live actors disappoint, but the characters in Wall-E did not.

The opening third of the film has next to no dialogue, and I didn't miss it. I was sort of disappointed (but not shocked) to hear words when they reappeared.

The story of going up against strong systems also appealed to me. And there were even two songs from the film version of Hello Dolly! to keep this Broadway boy tuned in!

No comments: