Friday, August 21, 2009

Kiss Me Kate--1999 Broadway Cast Album


Yes, I am guilty of stuffing the ballot box of late with votes for Brian Stokes Mitchell, but after the disturbing Assassins, I needed some light-hearted musical entertainment, and the revival cast of Kiss Me Kate seemed the right choice. It did the trick, reminding me that Broadway musicals can be smart, witty, and singable without giving you the wiggins.

I'm not certain I agree with the orchestration changes Don Sebesky made to this score. The notes in the liner booklet go on an on about how the new orchestrations (and slight alterations to the score) helped to place the music more specifically in the time-frame of the play (Shrew--Elizabethan), or of the play-within-the-play (Baltimore 1940s-50s). While I hear those differences, I don't think they were needed for a good ol' time at the theater. And what justifies the very modern version of "Another Opening Another Show" with its American Idol-inspired vocals? Adriane Lenox sings it well, so I suppose you can justify anything.

What I don't have to justify is the cast--top-notch throughout. Perhaps one of the benefits of remounting a Broadway classic in a high-profile revival is that you have access to professionals who have heard and sung this music all their lives and know how to do it. Marin Mazzie proves herself particularly versatile, in a role which requires both belt and legato singing.

Kiss Me Kate
Music and Lyrics by Cole Porter
Book by Samuel and Bella Spewack
Opened originally in 1948
This revival opened in 1999
Cast: Brian Stokes Mitchell, Marin Mazzie, Lee Wilkof, Amy Spanger, Michael Berresse, Michael Mulheren

No comments: