Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Mame--film on DVD


There was a line in the most recent version of Forbidden Broadway that struck me as I watched this film; it was something like "the days of unique talents are past". Forbidden is talking about star replacements, such as in Chicago, but it seems appropriate in thinking about the film version of Mame.

Lucille Ball was a unique talent, there is no question in my mind. I laugh out loud to myself just thinking about the candy factory scene, or the Vita-meata-vega-min commercial. I think of Ms. Ball as a brilliant physical comedienne, and in the several scenes in Mame that require physical comedy is when a bit of her brilliance shines through. But that was her unique talent. In the rest of the film, particularly the musical numbers, she is out of her element, and unfortunately it shows.

The cast surrounding Ms. Ball is full of unique talents who are fitted to their parts. Beatrice Arthur became a star as Vera Charles on Broadway, and the film shows us why. Robert Preston is suave and charming (although I don't like the song he sings that was written for the film). Bruce Davison is cute as a button. Also reprising her Broadway role Jane Connell as Agnes Gooch is, umm, particularly unique, and imbues her role with empathy and specificity.

Maybe that's part of the problem with Ms. Ball. I don't get much specificity from her, particularly when she's in reaction shots, but also in the songs and dances. There are times in the dances, when I swear she is mouthing the steps, or plastering on a smile to keep from mouthing the steps.

That's not the inner life I want from my Mame.


Mame
Music and Lyrics by Jerry Herman
Book by Jerome Lawrence and Robert E. Lee
Opened on Broadway in 1964
Film released in 1974
Cast: Bruce Davison, Lucille Ball, Beatrice Arthur, Robert Preston, Jane Connell

No comments: