Saturday, August 2, 2008

Mamma Mia! first-run film at the multiplex


It's the mother of all juke-box musicals, and while I hadn't seen Mamma Mia! on stage I was looking forward to the film for what I thought would be an infectious, silly time accompanied by ABBA music.

I was more than a bit disappointed.

The women in the cast hold up there end of the bargain much better than the men. Meryl Streep and Amanda Seyfried are good as mother and daughter. Christine Baranski and Julie Walters give exactly what's needed as the goofy friends of the bride's mother.

Colin Firth holds his own as befuddled potential father number 1. Stellan Skarsgard is alright as number 2. Pierce Bronsan looks great as number 3, but really should never have opened his mouth--especially to sing.

My main disappointment is in the music. I love ABBA music, but it doesn't work as something character-driven, or plot-moving, or with chorus. Perhaps my disappointment was augmented by seeing Hairspray so close to Mama Mia--Hairspray is much better and even manages to provide some character growth and address some societal issues.

Mama Mia!
Music by Benny Andersson and ABBA
Lyrics by the same
Cast: Meryl Streep, Amanda Seyfried, Christine Baranski, Julie Walters, Colin Firth, Stellan Skarsgard, Pierce Brosnan, Dominic Cooper

No comments: